Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in September 2019
- Monthly mean temperatures were significantly above normal from northern to western Japan.
- Monthly mean temperatures were extremely high from eastern Japan to Mongolia, from southwestern Tajikistan to Saudi Arabia, from the western part of Western Africa to the western part of Middle Africa, from Mauritius to southern Kenya, from the eastern USA to southern Mexico, and in and around central Brazil.
- In the equatorial Pacific, remarkably positive SST anomalies were observed in the western part.
- Convective activity was enhanced from the southern part of the Middle East to the central part of South Asia, and over the western equatorial Indian Ocean, the seas northeast of the Philippines, and the latitude band of 15ºN in the central to eastern Pacific, and was suppressed from the southeastern tropical Indian Ocean to the Maritime Continent.
- In the 500-hPa height field, positive anomalies were seen over the northern polar region, the northeastern part of East Asia, the seas south of Alaska, the eastern USA, and the seas west of Europe, and negative anomalies were seen over the northeast of the Caspian Sea and over Eastern Siberia.
Full version (PDF)
The descriptions until April 2011 are based on the old normal (i.e., the 1979 - 2004 average).
The descriptions until January 2014 are based on the JRA-25/JCDAS datasets.
Figures and Tables
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice