Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in April 2017
- Monthly mean temperatures were above normal in northern and western Japan and monthly precipitation amounts were above normal in western Japan.
- The monthly anomaly of the global average surface temperature was the second warmest since 1891.
- In the equatorial Pacific, positive SST anomalies were widely observed except around the date line.
- Convective activity was enhanced over the Maritime Continent and the South Pacific.
- A blocking high was seen to the northwest of Alaska and negative anomalies extended zonally over the mid-latitude of the North Pacific in the 500-hPa height field.
Full version (PDF)
The descriptions until April 2011 are based on the old normal (i.e., the 1979 - 2004 average).
The descriptions until January 2014 are based on the JRA-25/JCDAS datasets.
Figures and Tables
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice