Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in February 2019
- El Niño conditions are considered to have persisted in the equatorial Pacific (see El Niño Outlook updated on 11 March 2019).
- Monthly mean temperatures were significantly above normal in Okinawa/Amami, and were above normal in northern to western Japan.
- Monthly mean temperatures were extremely high from eastern to northern Australia, and were extremely low from southwestern Canada to the southwestern USA.
- Convective activity was enhanced around the date line, and was suppressed from the eastern Indian Ocean to the Maritime Continent and around the Philippines.
- In the 500-hPa height field, a wave train was clearly seen from the central North Pacific to Europe with positive anomalies to the seas south of Alaska, and negative anomalies over the western USA. Zonally elongated positive anomalies were seen from Japan to its east.
Full version (PDF)
The descriptions until April 2011 are based on the old normal (i.e., the 1979 - 2004 average).
The descriptions until January 2014 are based on the JRA-25/JCDAS datasets.
Figures and Tables
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice