Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in May 2019
- El Niño conditions continue in the equatorial Pacific (see El Niño Outlook updated on 10 June 2019).
- Monthly mean temperatures and monthly sunshine durations were significantly above normal in northern, eastern and western Japan.
- Monthly mean temperatures were extremely high in and around the eastern part of East Asia, from eastern Micronesia to the central part of Southeast Asia, and in and around the northwestern part of Southeast Asia.
- Convective activity was enhanced from the west of the date line to the Caribbean Sea and from the eastern North Atlantic to western Africa.
- In the 500-hPa height field, positive anomalies were seen over the northern polar region. Wave trains were dominant over the Northern Hemisphere mid- and high-latitudes, with positive anomalies over the Sea of Okhotsk and negative anomalies over the south of the Aleutian Islands.
- Temperatures at 850-hPa were above normal from the Sea of Okhotsk to northern Japan, and below normal over southern Europe.
Full version (PDF)
The descriptions until April 2011 are based on the old normal (i.e., the 1979 - 2004 average).
The descriptions until January 2014 are based on the JRA-25/JCDAS datasets.
Figures and Tables
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice