Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in January 2017
- The monthly anomaly of the global average surface temperature was the second highest since 1891.
- ENSO neutral conditions are present (see El Niño Outlook updated on 10 February 2017).
- Convective activity was enhanced over Southeast Asia.
- Temperatures at 850-hPa were above normal from Central Siberia to East Asia.
- Monthly mean temperatures were significantly above normal in Okinawa/Amami.
Full version (PDF)
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice