Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in July 2017
- Monthly mean temperatures were above normal all over Japan, especially in northern and western Japan.
- Monthly mean temperatures were extremely high in and around the Korean Peninsula to the southern part of Central Asia.
- In the equatorial Pacific, positive SST anomalies were dominant from the western part to the central part.
- Convective activity was enhanced from northern India to the Philippines and over the eastern Maritime Continent.
- In the 500-hPa height field, an annular pattern was pronounced with positive anomalies over the mid-latitudes, especially the latitude band between 40ºN and 50ºN from Central Asia to the seas east of Japan.
- The westward extension of the Pacific High to the East China Sea was clearly observed.
Full version (PDF)
The descriptions until April 2011 are based on the old normal (i.e., the 1979 - 2004 average).
The descriptions until January 2014 are based on the JRA-25/JCDAS datasets.
Figures and Tables
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice