Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in August 2018
- Monthly mean temperatures were significantly above normal in eastern and western Japan.
- Monthly precipitation amounts were significantly above normal on the Sea of Japan side of northern and eastern Japan, and in Okinawa/Amami.
- Monthly mean temperatures were extremely high from northern Kyushu region of Japan to northwestern China, from Western Russia to southwestern Europe, in and around the northeastern USA, and from the southwestern USA to central Mexico.
- In the equatorial Pacific, remarkably positive SST anomalies were observed in the western part.
- Convective activity was enhanced from the Philippines to the 10-20ºN latitude band in the North Pacific.
- In the 500-hPa height field, positive anomalies were seen over northeastern China, the seas south of Alaska, eastern Canada, Western Russia and in and around the Laptev Sea.
- The subtropical jet stream was stronger than normal over Eurasia and displaced northward from its normal positon over the eastern part of East Asia.
- The North Pacific Subtropical High was stronger than normal to the seas southeast of Japan. The northeastward extension of the Tibetan High was also seen and the Tibetan High covered a large part of Japan.
Full version (PDF)
The descriptions until April 2011 are based on the old normal (i.e., the 1979 - 2004 average).
The descriptions until January 2014 are based on the JRA-25/JCDAS datasets.
Figures and Tables
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice