Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in July 2016
- The monthly anomaly of the global average surface temperature was the highest since 1891.
- In the equatorial Pacific, remarkably positive SST anomalies were observed in the western part, and remarkably negative SST anomalies were observed from the central to eastern parts.
- Convective activity was enhanced over the eastern Indian Ocean and the central part of the equatorial South Pacific, and suppressed over the western equatorial Indian Ocean, the western Pacific and the equatorial North Pacific.
- The westerly jet stream was displaced northward of its normal position from the Korean Peninsula to the Sea of Japan.
- Monthly mean temperatures were significantly above normal in Okinawa/Amami.
Full version (PDF)
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice