Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in October 2016
- The monthly anomaly of the global average surface temperature was the third highest since 1891.
- It is considered that La Niña conditions are present in the equatorial Pacific (see El Niño Outlook updated on 10 November 2016).
- In the lower troposphere, anti-cyclonic circulation anomalies were seen over the wide area in the tropical North Pacific.
- A blocking high developed from the Scandinavian Peninsula to the Barents Sea.
- Monthly mean temperatures were significantly above normal in eastern and western Japan and Okinawa/Amami. On the other hand, monthly mean temperatures were below normal in northern Japan.
Full version (PDF)
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice