Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in June 2016
- The monthly anomaly of the global average surface temperature was the highest since 1891.
- In the equatorial Pacific, remarkably positive SST anomalies were observed west of 160ºE, and negative SST anomalies were observed in the central and eastern parts.
- Convective activity was enhanced over India to the Bay of Bengal and the eastern part of the South Indian Ocean to the Maritime Continent, and suppressed over the equatorial western Indian Ocean and the western Pacific.
- The westerly jet stream was stronger than normal in its normal position over and around Japan.
- Monthly precipitation amounts were significantly above normal in north Japan and the Pacific side of western Japan. Monthly mean temperatures were significantly above normal in Okinawa/Amami.
Full version (PDF)
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice