Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in September 2016
- The monthly anomaly of the global average surface temperature was the second highest since 1891.
- It is considered that La Niña conditions are present in the equatorial Pacific (see El Niño Outlook updated on 11 October 2016).
- In the lower troposphere, cyclonic and anti-cyclonic circulation anomalies were seen over the southern part of East Asia and the seas southeast of Japan, respectively.
- In the 500-hPa height field, positive height anomalies were seen over Western to Central Siberia, and negative height anomalies were over eastern China.
- Due to typhoons repeatedly approaching or making landfall on Japan and a stationary front near the main island of Japan, monthly sunshine durations were significantly below normal in eastern and western Japan and Okinawa/Amami.
Full version (PDF)
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice