Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in June 2018
- Monthly precipitation amounts were significantly above normal in Hokkaido region of Japan and monthly sunshine durations were significantly above normal on the Pacific side of eastern Japan.
- Monthly mean temperatures were extremely high from northern Siberia to the northern part of East Asia and in and around central Europe.
- In the equatorial Pacific, remarkably positive SST anomalies were observed in the western part.
- Convective activity was enhanced from the Philippines to the latitudinal bands of 10ºN in the central part of the tropical North Pacific and over Central America.
- In the 500-hPa height field, wave trains were seen from North America to the northern part of the North Atlantic and over northern Eurasia.
- The westerly jet stream displaced northward from its normal position from Japan to the seas east of the country.
Full version (PDF)
The descriptions until April 2011 are based on the old normal (i.e., the 1979 - 2004 average).
The descriptions until January 2014 are based on the JRA-25/JCDAS datasets.
Figures and Tables
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice