Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in September 2017
- Monthly mean temperature in Okinawa/Amami tied with 2014 as the highest on record for September since 1946.
- Monthly sunshine durations were significantly above normal in northern Japan and on the Sea of Japan side of eastern Japan.
- Monthly mean temperatures were extremely high from southeastern Europe to Turkey, from Norway to northeastern Greenland, and from Mauritius to northern Mozambique.
- In the equatorial Pacific, remarkably positive SST anomalies were observed in the western part and negative SST anomalies were observed from the central part to the eastern part.
- Convective activity was enhanced around the Maritime Continent and the western North Atlantic.
- The jet stream displaced southward from its normal position over the area from Japan to the Pacific.
- The Pacific High extended to the south of Japan.
Full version (PDF)
The descriptions until April 2011 are based on the old normal (i.e., the 1979 - 2004 average).
The descriptions until January 2014 are based on the JRA-25/JCDAS datasets.
Figures and Tables
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice