Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in April 2019
- El Niño conditions continue in the equatorial Pacific (see El Niño Outlook updated on 10 May 2019).
- Monthly sunshine durations were significantly above normal in northern Japan.
- Monthly mean temperatures were extremely high over the northern part of Eastern Siberia, from central to northwestern China, and in and around the northwestern part of Southeast Asia.
- Convective activity was enhanced over the central tropical Indian Ocean and the west of the date line.
- In the 500-hPa height field, a wave train was clearly seen from North America to northern Eurasia with positive anomalies over the Norwegian Sea and Eastern Siberia. Negative anomalies extended zonally over the mid-latitudes of the western and central North Pacific.
- Temperatures at 850-hPa were above normal from northern Europe to Greenland, over Eastern Siberia and near China, and below normal over the seas east of Japan.
Full version (PDF)
The descriptions until April 2011 are based on the old normal (i.e., the 1979 - 2004 average).
The descriptions until January 2014 are based on the JRA-25/JCDAS datasets.
Figures and Tables
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice