Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in August 2016
- The monthly anomaly of the global average surface temperature was the second highest since 1891.
- It is considered that La Niña conditions are present in the equatorial Pacific (see El Niño Outlook updated on 9 September 2016).
- In the lower troposphere, cyclonic circulation associated with a deep monsoon trough was clearly seen over the seas to the southeast of Japan.
- In the 500-hPa height field, positive height anomalies were seen over the western Siberia and over and around the Kamchatka Peninsula.
- Monthly precipitation amounts were significantly above normal in northern Japan.
Full version (PDF)
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice