Monthly Highlights on the Climate System
'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System' has been issued in PDF format since March 2007 as a monthly bulletin focusing on the monthly highlights of the monitoring results.
Highlights in December 2016
- The monthly anomaly of the global average surface temperature was the second highest since 1891.
- La Niña event is coming close to its end (see El Niño Outlook updated on 11 January 2017).
- Convective activity was enhanced over the area from the eastern part of the Bay of Bengal to the southern Indochina Peninsula, from Indonesia to the Philippines and the latitude bands of 10ºN to 15ºN in the central Pacific.
- The zonal mean westerly jet streams were stronger than normal north of their normal position in both hemispheres.
- In and to the south of eastern Japan, monthly mean temperatures were significantly above normal due to weak winter monsoon.
Full version (PDF)
If you would like to subscribe to Monthly Highlights on the Climate System, please send an email to
with your name, affiliation, country and email address.
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice