Seasonal Highlights on the Climate System
'Seasonal Highlights' has been issued in PDF format since spring 2007 as a seasonal bulletin focusing on the seasonal highlights of the monitoring results. For monthly information, please refer to 'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System.'
Highlights in Spring (March 2018 - May 2018)
- La Niña event, which had persisted since boreal autumn 2017, is likely to have ended in boreal spring 2018 (see El Niño Outlook updated on 11 June 2018).
- Seasonal mean temperatures were significantly above normal all over Japan. Especially seasonal mean temperature in eastern Japan was the highest on record for boreal spring since 1946.
- Seasonal mean temperatures were extremely high from Honshu region of Japan to the Korean Peninsula, from northern Mongolia to southeastern China, and from southeastern Europe to the northwestern Middle East.
- Convective activity was enhanced from Eastern Africa to the central Indian Ocean, and from Micronesia to Hawaii.
- In the 500-hPa height field, wave trains were seen from the North Atlantic to northern Eurasia along the subpolar jet stream. Positive anomalies extended zonally over the mid-latitude of the North Pacific and the North Atlantic.
- The subtropical high was stronger than normal over the North Pacific and the North Atlantic.
Full version (PDF)
Figures and Tables
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice