Seasonal Highlights on the Climate System
'Seasonal Highlights' has been issued in PDF format since spring 2007 as a seasonal bulletin focusing on the seasonal highlights of the monitoring results. For monthly information, please refer to 'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System.'
Highlights in Spring (March 2019 - May 2019)
- El Niño conditions continue in the equatorial Pacific (see El Niño Outlook updated on 10 June 2019).
- Seasonal mean temperatures were significantly above normal in northern and western Japan, and Okinawa/Amami.
- Seasonal mean temperatures were extremely high in and around the northeastern part of East Asia, and in and around southern China.
- Convective activity was enhanced from the west of the date line to the central equatorial Pacific, and was suppressed from the tropical North Indian Ocean to the Philippines.
- In the 500-hPa height field, positive anomalies were seen over Alaska and the east of Greenland, and negative anomalies were seen over the south of Greenland.
- The westerly jet stream shifted southward from its normal position from Japan to the eastern part of the North Pacific.
Full version (PDF)
Figures and Tables
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice