Seasonal Highlights on the Climate System
'Seasonal Highlights' has been issued in PDF format since spring 2007 as a seasonal bulletin focusing on the seasonal highlights of the monitoring results. For monthly information, please refer to 'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System.'
Highlights in Winter (December 2018 - February 2019)
- El Niño conditions are considered to have persisted in the equatorial Pacific (see El Niño Outlook updated on 11 March 2019).
- Seasonal mean temperatures were significantly above normal in eastern and western Japan, and Okinawa/Amami.
- Seasonal mean temperatures were extremely high from Okinawa/Amami region of Japan to southern China and in Australia, and were extremely low from western Mongolia to northwestern China. Seasonal precipitation amounts were extremely low in eastern Australia.
- Convective activity was enhanced over the west of the date line, and was suppressed from the eastern South Indian Ocean to the Maritime Continent and around the Philippines.
- In the 500-hPa height field, a wave train was seen over mid-latitudes with positive anomalies to the seas south of Alaska, over western Europe, and from eastern China to the seas east of Japan, and negative anomalies over the western USA.
- The westerly jet stream shifted northward from its normal position from eastern China to Japan.
Full version (PDF)
Figures and Tables
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice