Seasonal Highlights on the Climate System
'Seasonal Highlights' has been issued in PDF format since spring 2007 as a seasonal bulletin focusing on the seasonal highlights of the monitoring results. For monthly information, please refer to 'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System.'
Highlights in Autumn (September 2018 - November 2018)
- It is considered that El Niño conditions are present in the equatorial Pacific (see El Niño Outlook updated on 10 December 2018).
- Seasonal mean temperatures were above normal in northern and eastern Japan.
- Seasonal mean temperatures were extremely high from the northern to northwestern part of Southeast Asia, in and around central Europe, in the eastern USA, and in northeastern Australia.
- Convective activity was enhanced over the seas east of New Guinea, over the latitudinal bands of 10ºN and from western Africa to the Middle East.
- In the 500-hPa height field, positive anomalies were clearly seen around Alaska and northern Europe. Negative anomalies were seen from central Canada to the seas west of the UK and around China.
- The subtropical jet stream displaced southward from its normal position from Eurasia to the Pacific Ocean. The westerly jet stream was weaker than normal over mainland Japan.
Full version (PDF)
Figures and Tables
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice