Seasonal Highlights on the Climate System
'Seasonal Highlights' has been issued in PDF format since spring 2007 as a seasonal bulletin focusing on the seasonal highlights of the monitoring results. For monthly information, please refer to 'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System.'
Highlights in Winter (December 2016 - February 2017)
- In the equatorial Pacific, remarkably positive SST anomalies were observed in the western part.
- Convective activity was enhanced over the area from the eastern part of the Bay of Bengal to the seas east of the Philippines, and over and around the Maritime Continent.
- In the 500-hPa height field, positive anomalies were observed over northern Europe and to the south of Alaska, and negative anomalies were observed over Western Siberia and to the east of Japan.
- Seasonal mean temperatures were extremely high from the eastern USA to eastern Mexico.
- Seasonal mean temperatures were above normal in most of Japan.
Full version (PDF)
Figures and Tables
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice