Seasonal Highlights on the Climate System
'Seasonal Highlights' has been issued in PDF format since spring 2007 as a seasonal bulletin focusing on the seasonal highlights of the monitoring results. For monthly information, please refer to 'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System.'
Highlights in Summer (June 2017 - August 2017)
- Seasonal mean temperatures were significantly above normal in Okinawa/Amami.
- Seasonal precipitation amounts were above normal on the Sea of Japan side of northern and eastern Japan.
- Seasonal mean temperatures were extremely high from Mauritius to Madagascar.
- In the equatorial Pacific, remarkably positive SST anomalies were observed in the western part.
- Convective activity was enhanced around the Maritime Continent.
- The polar vortex was stronger than normal and the subpolar jet stream meandered northward over Central and Eastern Siberia.
Full version (PDF)
Figures and Tables
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice