Seasonal Highlights on the Climate System
'Seasonal Highlights' has been issued in PDF format since spring 2007 as a seasonal bulletin focusing on the seasonal highlights of the monitoring results. For monthly information, please refer to 'Monthly Highlights on the Climate System.'
Highlights in Summer (June 2019 - August 2019)
- ENSO-neutral conditions persisted in boreal summer 2019, after the El Niño event continued from autumn 2018 to spring 2019 (see El Niño Outlook updated on 10 September 2019).
- Seasonal precipitation amounts were significantly above normal on the Pacific side of western Japan and in Okinawa/Amami.
- Seasonal mean temperatures were extremely high in and around Central Siberia, in southern India, from eastern Europe to the western part of Northern Africa, from Comoros to Mauritius, in and around Alaska, in and around Central America, from northern Polynesia to central Micronesia, and in eastern Australia.
- Convective activity was enhanced over Northern Africa and the southwestern tropical Indian Ocean, and was suppressed over the southeastern tropical Indian Ocean and Central America.
- In the 500-hPa height field, positive anomalies were seen from the west of Greenland via the northern polar region to Central Siberia, over southern Alaska, and over eastern Europe, and negative anomalies were seen over the seas west of Europe and over Western Russia.
- The subtropical jet stream shifted southward from its normal position over the eastern part of East Asia.
Full version (PDF)
Figures and Tables
Tokyo Climate Center, Climate Prediction Division, 1-3-4 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Copyright(C) 2002. Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Legal Notice